Saturday, May 28, 2011

York Area Coupon Policies

We are fairly lucky here that the local stores double coupons at all. Some areas of the country, even neighboring counties in PA, this is unheard of, or they don't get it as good as we do. It can vary from one store to the next though, so it's a good idea to ask at Customer Service before you get to the check out and are surprised with a bill higher than you thought it would be.

Always have a store discount card! Doubles are usually only with a store discount card! Plus, at most stores, you are earning money towards gas discounts, so sign up for one today if you don't have one!

Some coupons say "do not double" on them. Look at the coupon's barcode. If it starts with a 9, it will not double. The computer will not allow it. If it starts with a 5, the computer will allow it to double. The cashier can hit a button to make it not do this though, so don't pick a "coupon nazi" cashier!

Young guys are usually the best as they just don't care or want to read your stack of coupons. If what you are buying doesn't match the product, it's going to beep to let them know. Sometimes they beep even when you have bought the product, and they can override it so it goes through once they confirm you bought what is on the coupon. Don't be intimidated by the beeping!

This is based on my personal experience at the stores in Red Lion, York and Shrewsbury.

GIANT

Giant will double any coupon that is $0.99 or less. We get "full doubles" so if you ever found a $0.99 coupon, it would become $1.98 (or up to the price of the item, there is no "overage" you can apply to other items in your order.) This is why I love $0.75 coupons! They become $1.50 off!

But they will only double 1 like coupon per transaction. So if you have 2 of the same $0.50 coupons for 2 bottles of the same juice, only the first one would become $1.00, the other would still be $0.50. It is best to split up your orders to get the best value for you coupons. If you have a lot, go through the self checkout. I have never had the attendant say a word to me about doing seperate transactions.

They do not take IP (Internet Printable) coupons for a free item. *most of these are fakes anyway*. They also won't usually take an IP that states BOGO (Buy One Get One Free). It is best to ask and see if they will. The word "free" makes them nervous. The max value of an IP they will take is $5.00.

They may also take a competitor's coupon so long as it is for a specific item, but it's a YMMV situation. (Your Mileage May Vary)

Here is their double coupon/Internet coupon policy: http://www.giantfoodstores.com/shareddev/sharedcontent/savings/doublecoupons.cfm

WEIS

Weis will also double any coupon that is $0.99 or less, full doubles. In my experience, if the doubled value is over the price of the item, it will apply the "overage" to your order. For example, there is a coupon for $0.55 off San Giorgio Quick Cook Pasta. Doubled, it is worth $1.10. This goes on sale for $1.00 all the time. Everytime I have used this coupon at Weis with the $1.00 sale, I get $1.10 off my total. At Giant, I only get $1.00 off. I still get the item for FREE though, so it's cool.

Weis will double 4 like coupons per transaction. So I could buy 4 of those bottles of juice and have 4 $0.50 coupons, and they would all become $1.00 off. If I had a 5th coupon and a 5th bottle of juice, it would go through at $0.50.

On a BOGO sale, they are not supposed to take a coupon on the "free" item according to their coupon policy. But the computer (and cashier) may let it go through. It's a YMMV situation.

They also take comptetitor's coupons as long as it's for a specific item, including Catalina's. So if you go to Giant and the coupon machine prints you $1.00 off your next purchase of Brand X Bagels, and Brand X Bagels are on sale at Weis, you could use it there, even if it says "Giant" on it.

Internet printable (IP) coupons are accepted at Weis, up to a value of $10.00. They do not take an IP for a free item. They take non-IP coupons that are for a free item though. But if it's a BOGO IP, they will accept it.

Here is their coupon policy:
http://www.weismarkets.com/customer-service/consumer-policies/coupon-policy/

SHURFINE

Shurfine in Spry will also double any coupon that is $0.99 or less, full doubles. They don't have a limit as far how many of a like coupon will double. I asked just the other day, and then used 7 of the same coupon on 7 of the same items. All doubled.

You can also use a coupon on the "Free" item in a BOGO free sale because with their BOGO, each item rings up at half price.

I don't have information on their IP policy, but it is posted at the Customer Service desk. I am going to get more information and update.

Jerry's

Jerry's Great Value in Red Lion will double any coupon $0.50 or below. If you have a coupon between $0.51 and $0.99, it will become a $1.00 off. It does not do a full double here. I don't even think you need their store card for this, as their card does not get you a discount on your order. It is only a rewards card to earn points towards money off a future order or a gas card. I am not sure how many like coupons they will double, but next time I go there, I am going to ask at the service desk. I know I have done 3 of the same before and it worked. I got 6 boxes of pizza rolls for $0.50 each. The kids loved me for those!

Going to find out more information as far as IP go. I don't buy much here unless they have the best deal on something for which I have a good coupon.

Food Lion

I just started going here a few weeks ago. I stop on the way home from work once a week to get whatever the hot deals are, and that's it. You have to get their bonus card for the sale prices, as they won't even let you use a generic store card to get the sales.

They will only double your first 5 coupons, and your total before coupons has to be over either $30 or $35. The cashier wasn't sure when I asked. She didn't know the value of coupons they would double either. So, next week, when I go, I am going to ask again and try to get a better answer. Or a copy of it, as they didn't seem to have one...

The best thing to do if you are not sure is to ask at Customer Service! If you have any more information from your personal experience, please add it to the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I do recall seeing this earlier. I asked at Weis here at Queensgate (employee and a Mgr) and they do not take other stores coupons. But we all know if it says Manufacturer Coupon they will. Giant told me the same thing. While the store has a policy each individual store varies, so it's best to ask where you shop.

    Thanks, T I am going to have to email this to my work addy so I can print it out and be able remind myself while in my coupon mode:)
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good idea to print out the policy from their website and put it in your binder. Sometimes the cashiers just don't know and if it beeps, they are afraid to get in trouble. They have to write their cashier number on any beeping coupon they accept, so they are held accountable.
    Some stores will let you do things outside the policy, like I have never had a problem using a $1.00/2 coupon on a BOGO sale at Weis, but according to policy, it should not be accepted.

    ReplyDelete